Friday 18 February 2011

Ok

Alright. I've taken enough writing classes that I should know something about myself as a story teller. I'm not well prepared enough to just write a story from beginning to end and expect it to be perfect. Of course not. It needs to be sculpted properly, with each vignette in the right place and with a purpose, etc, etc. So, I've decided that, with the goal of one movie, I'm going to have to write several things at once. If I have a gag that I want to fit it, I'll go ahead and write it, hoping it fits in later. If I have a side story, that'll have its own place, too. That way I only have o focus on one thing at a time as I go.

I've decided that this is going to be a kind of romantic tragedy nerd movie. Hopefully with enough side story that the romance does get over bearing, but it's not going to be a necessarily happy ending. The relationship shouldn't work in the end, but I want the guy and the girl to be happy with each other and the experience, so it's still up beat. If anyone saw PS I LOVE YOU, I want a similar kind of conclusion, but a very different movie.

So, nerd fest. That's a big thing. I have a solid gag for that I'll try to flesh out. I also have another side story that I think I can work on, so that's what's doing. I'll include links to those as I do them.

6 comments:

  1. Careful to not spread yourself too thin. Three well thought out books at one time will take some time and effort. Just like our warning about searching the internet, too many projects can bring you down the 'rabbit hole' and lead you away from finishing your project. Search out your ideas and write down summaries/outlines, but I would suggest trying to pick one to focus on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben,

    now I'd like to see your annotated research on both the genre of movie you intend to script and on particular examples of screenwriting that may be valuable models for one reason or another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben,
    been wondering where your thinking would take you. Your description of how you write fits my own experience exactly. I have to simply write whatever is ready to be written, and perhaps two things at once, and then fit them together (sometimes with a sharp knife).
    So I'd say write! Write the gag or whatever is ready.
    And while you're doing that, gather the tools every screenwriter needs (see Mark's thoughts above).
    Talk with Steve Hall, by the way. He's a good talker an listener and has, as I've said, an MFA in screenwriting (+ he saw Mitt and Ms. Mitt in Borders on Thursday).

    ReplyDelete
  4. How should I get in contact with him?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like every bit of it! My boyfriend right now is in the process of writing his own book. He has so far about 15 pages of notes on his computer. He started off really rather slow. So if that happens to you I don't want you getting discouraged. He keeps editing and rewriting different parts of his book and he is getting the general gist of his book.
    I have an person who would be good for you to talk to. He was once one of my teachers and is currently working at the Hollywood school up in Salt Lake. He had directed a movie and many other things. His name is Nate Jones. If you are interested let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...a romantic tragedy nerd movie, do you think it could have a Christmas setting? I have to say the combination sounds interesting. I like Scott's suggestion, "... write the gag or whatever is ready" mainly because it sounds like free writing to me, and then you fell up the gaps and/or make the any necessary modifications. May I ask, why did you decide to combine tragedy + romantic + nerd?

    ReplyDelete