Friday 11 February 2011

Feb. 4-11,2011

I've gotten a lot of feed back on favorite movies, and one piece of advice to ignore all of those suggestions as anything but information on what not to write. I'll admit, thinking about all of this makes me kind of sick to my stomach, since I don't feel like a creative machine.

Honestly, I have very little to do with holidays and traditions. I haven't seen half of those movies, so I'd be a poor candidate to try to replicate the experience. What I do have is a personal history that is probably under represented in movies, so maybe that'll be good enough. Does that mean multi-ethnic? Probably not, unless I can swing a "lost in translation" sort of culture clash.

I kind of want to write a Wes Anderson style Christmas. A little draggy, nothing too unrealistic. You know, kinda of dull but quirky. As is, I'm a little worried it will look more like a Michael Cera sort of pity party, so that'll be something to watch out for.

Here's a link to my drafts. I figure that's a good way to track some progress...scripped.com

I guess the next step would be to outline or draft more. Or watch more movies in the style I'm trying to evoke.

6 comments:

  1. Ben,

    Don't script a holiday movie just because a wealthy man told you to do so, unless your goal is truly to make the easiest possible screenplay to sell, in which case a Christmas movie is as good a bet as any. Write an anti-holiday movie if it floats your boat. Meanwhile, the academic part of this project interests me as much as the creative end--how do you research your screenplay? Define your topic and research the topic (do not just watch movies you like about the topic). The learning process itself may be the creative spur, but even if not, it's a valuable way to train and can contribute to a finished thesis. Also consider adaptations from other genres, a great way to practice your chops as a screenwriter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What mark says is really good advice, and we see both in film production as well as literature production that writers use theory in order to create things that haven't really been made, or things that speak to the creative part of you, or both. With the film part you have your film theory book from last semester. I have an adaptation-theory book in mind if that is a route you want to take. I am really excited to see how you approach this and if you want to bounce ideas just send me a message on the facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben,
    so I looked at the scripted page, and just have a little boy playing a video game. Is there more?
    If I had your Chinese experiences, and if I were writing a Christmas movie script, I'd meld the two. I bet China (as it becomes increasingly capitalistic) will, or already is, cashing in on Christmas. Bet the tensions there could be fantastically interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But here's the real comment: writers write.
    WRITE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Post a sample of your screenplay so we can give feedback on it if you feel like that will help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course. I just put that link so you could follow as I write. As Scott noted, I haven't much yet.

    ReplyDelete