Wednesday 2 March 2011

Out of Town

Class this last Monday was really great. It helped me problematize some of the issues I was having with my scenes I was doing. I recognize that they are mostly bare bones, but I recall one of my classes from years ago stressing that screen plays were not movies and that you can't put in too much directorial things. So, I've been simply stating things that happen, ignoring some techniques that might make the screen play itself more enjoyable to read. But then, my goal is to write something that might get picked up.

So, here's a good research question: what should it look like? I can look at scripts off of many websites and simply make my own connections. I could return to some of the texts I used to have, like Robert Mckee's "Story. I could also find some other options.

Question two: how do screen plays become successful. This will be an essential thing to discover before I finish.

Question 3-- What the hell am I writing. I am not taking the time to flesh these stories out, not am I trying to evolve my characters. The dream sequence I have, and basic idea for the story are good starting places, if I can get them to mesh.

Problem, I'm leaving tomorrow morning to go to Texas to visit my very sick granddad for the first time in ten years before I miss the chance. And I'll be staying in house in the country about two hours from Houston. I don't think I'll have the chance to type.

Result--I'm just going to write on Scratch paper and try to get it up here by next wednesday, since I won't return until next tuesday.

So, I'm going to be doing a lot of character sketches and hopefully story outlining. Thank you.

6 comments:

  1. I am sorry about your granddad but this change of scenery might be exactly what you have needed to get further along in your project. The “not being able to type” thing might be helpful also. A lot of times when I am trying to choreograph a dance I have to change the way that I look at it (by changing locations or writing a floor pattern). These changes often help me to tap into my creative process (I know writing is probably completely different but that is the best thing I could relate it to) Take advantage of this opportunity for a change in scenery and it could really help you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also, am sorry to hear about your grandpa. I hope you are able to have some quality time. This could be the breakthrough time for you also... sometimes you need a break, or at least a difference to have things fall in place. I find that changing perspective (where you are, what your thinking, or how your writing --paper instead of computer) can drastically help your thinking.

    Secondly, it is gook looking at others screenplays (good and bad) but also it would be good to talk to an editor and producer to see what they look for in a screenplay. I don't know how it is with screenplays, but if you want to have someone look at normal books there are many little nit picky things like the margins, font type and size, etc. that if not done correctly they will toss it aside without even reading it. These are things that you really need to know if you are hoping to get it produced!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn's comment gave me a very random thought when she said "it's good to look at others screenplays (good and bad)". Have you seen the movie The Producers? (the 2005 version; i haven't seen the old one)

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0395251/

    The main characters in the movie were going to put on the world's worst Broadway show "Hitler in the Springtime" and the show ended up being a major success because it was so awful it was good. If you're still trying to collect ideas for where you want to take your story, don't be afraid to work at your screenplay from a totally opposite direction. If you want some comedic elements, maybe you'd have fun writing a Christmas story that's so awful and bizarre it's funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually Ben, your second question could be a thesis project all in itself. How much do you know about the ways in which someone's screenplay, written in isolation, ever makes the torturous journey through pitches, budget discussions, finding a producer, director, cast, and so forth, all the way to release and distribution issues? If you plan to be the person who pitches your screenplay, this is something you should research.

    On the other hand, if you truly want your project to be a finished screenplay, then the research you absolutely must do is that which will ensure that your screenplay works as such. Screenwriters, like writers of all sorts, often fall into the habit of assuming that they're writing what they know and therefore they don't need to learn more or fact-check their stories. But the gods are in the details, Ben. So many stories fail because they lack attention to detail.

    Be safe on your trip. Make the most of your time with your grandfather. Write like crazy in longhand on whatever scraps of paper or notebook you have. It could be a golden opportunity to break away from the computer and write with genuine freedom and exploratory fervor, especially those hours stuck on the plane or in the airport. When you get back, _do_ get cracking on your background research. You need to pull together an annotated bibliography and plan of attack for the completion of the project, pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  5. keep writing.

    that's all I going to say.

    that, and travel well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a musician friend who had something very insightful to say the other day. He writes first thing in the morning and throughout the day when he feels compelled to get nagging ideas out of his head even if they seem to be no good, just to make room for more and potentially better ideas. The concept is that through writing consistently (making room) he will be more perceptive to his environment (able to intake new ideas). Perhaps this outlook would be helpful for you, especially if you are struggling with where to take your writing, just keep it coming and be receptive.

    ReplyDelete